Monday, June 27, 2011

Regarding the first sketch: conversation with Graham

The edits in my first sketch were a hard decision to make. They were only necessary because the interviewee tended take a lot of tangents that were not related to the project. I had 30 minutes of footage, and a good deal of it was little stories.
I didn't include myself for the exact reason that Dr. Juhasz pointed out. The reason of power. I wanted my first video to be a more stock interview illuminating the power dynamic. It is certainly not how I plan to run my final project, but because power (and time) are such important aspects of this study on old-age I wanted some highlighting of both.
So many times we take what we want from conversation, especially with the elderly--this video is a critique of that idea. Because of the edits it is as if Graham exists as a anachronistic figure in the present sped up technological world. This is purposeful, not because I believe the preceding idea to be true, but rather because I believe the opposite to be true. Illumination via blunt edits and absence of the interviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment